Your eyeglasses are reliable accessories that work on their own to give you better vision. However, like most of your other personal items, you need to take care of them to maintain and prolong their functionality and quality.
The best ophthalmologist in Dubai says that the first thing you have to remember when taking care of your prescription glasses is that they are not indestructible. Even if the frames are made of a durable material and the lenses are scratch-resistant, you can still break and damage them.
Due to this reason, you have to know how to maintain and handle them with care at all times.
If you want to get the most from your new eyeglasses and maintain their excellent condition (until you need to have them replaced), here are the best tips to follow:
1. Always handle your glasses with care.
The way you handle your glasses while wearing and not wearing them can make a huge difference in prolonging their condition. Start by always removing and putting on your glasses with both hands.
Taking off and putting on your glasses with only one hand may seem cool. However, it is a sure way of damaging them. This gesture can loosen the screws or misalign the glasses’ frame over time.
Due to this reason, always remove and put on your glasses using both hands.
Also, if your eyepiece keeps slipping down your nose, avoid pushing them back up by putting pressure on the nose piece, especially if you have wire glasses. This gesture can deform the nose piece.
If your glasses keep sliding down your nose, have them adjusted by your optometrist immediately.
2. Never place your glasses over your head.
Many people have the habit of putting their eyewear over their head so that they can put them on quickly when they need them.
A lot of people also place their glasses over their head to keep their hair from falling on their face.
Regardless of your reason, avoid developing this habit if you don’t want to damage your eyeglasses.
If you develop this habit, you will end up stretching out their arms. Eventually, they will become loose, causing them to keep slipping down your nose.
If you continue doing this, you may even break your glasses in the near future.
The best way to protect and maintain the quality of your glasses when you are not wearing them is to put them inside a hard case. If you want your eyeglasses on your person so you can put them on quickly anytime, get an eyewear strap which you can attach to the glasses and hang around your neck without fear of dropping, breaking, and misplacing your eyewear accidentally.
3. Be mindful of where you leave your glasses.
Your glasses can get damaged easily if you do not choose the right spots to place or leave them when you are not using them.
Setting them down carelessly can also make them more vulnerable to breakage and damage.
Below are some specific tips for keeping your glasses protected while you are not wearing them:
- Do not leave your eyeglasses in places where you, other people, or pets can sit on, step on, or play with them.
- Place your glasses inside their case or on the table with the lenses facing upward to avoid scratching them accidentally.
- Avoid putting your glasses in a hot place or in a spot where they can be hit by direct sunlight to prevent the lens coating from getting damaged or the plastic frames from melting.
- Never put your glasses near the kitchen or bathroom sink and other areas where they can get splashed with strong chemicals, such as hair dye, bleach, and other harsh cleaning products.
4. Use the right case for storing your eyewear.
Protecting your glasses is doubly important when you are not wearing them.
Follow these tips for keeping them safe and maintaining their condition when you are not wearing them:
- Keep your eyewear in a hard case when not wearing them.
- Get a backup hard case so you have one on hand if your first one breaks. You can also keep this casing in your office or any place where you usually leave your eyeglasses.
- Avoid putting your glasses inside your bag without placing them inside the hard case first.
5. Keep your glasses clean.
If you want to have clear vision all the time, you have to clean your lenses properly and frequently.
Below are some of the best practices for cleaning your eyewear:
- Wash your glasses with warm water and a few drops of mild hand or liquid soap for several seconds every day.
- Do not use household cleaning solutions that contain harsh chemicals and other substances to clean your glasses since they can damage your eyewear’s frames and lens coating.
- As much as possible, allow your glasses to air dry after washing them.
- Use a soft microfiber cloth or the one that came with your eyepiece to wipe them after washing or if they are smudged and blurry.
- Never use ordinary tissue, paper towel, rough cloth, and other similar materials since they can scratch or leave debris on your glass lenses.
Following these tips can help you protect your eyeglasses and get the best use out of them.
You can also follow the same tips for taking care of shades so that you can experience the benefits of wearing sunglasses during sunny days.
If you have poor vision and want to know how we can help you, get in touch with our eye specialists now.