If your nearsightedness is –2.75 to –3.00 diopters, your results may not be as good as those of patients who are less nearsighted. Patients in this range of nearsightedness may be more likely to have Intacs removed due to dissatisfaction with their results.
*If your nearsightedness is –1.00 diopter, you are more likely to be overcorrected resulting in blurred near vision without glasses.
*the long-term effect of Intacs on the cornea has not been established.
*If your pupils are large under low light conditions, you are more likely to experience some visual symptoms such as glare and sensitivity to light.
*Under poor visibility conditions, such as dim light or fog, you may have some reduction in the sharpness of your vision.
*If your Intacs are removed, the results of future surgical procedures to correct your vision are not known.
Are you a good candidate for KeraVision Intacs?
If you are considering KeraVision Intacs, you must
- be at least 21 years of age
- have healthy eyes that are free from disease or corneal abnormality (for example Scarring or infection)
- have nearsightedness between –1.00 – -3.00 diopters with no more than 1.00 diopter of astigmatism;
- have documented evidence that the change in your refraction is 0.50 diopter or less for at least 12 months prior to your preoperative exam.
- be informed of the risks and benefits as compared to other available treatments for nearsightedness.
Preparation for Intacs:
- Do not wear contacts lenses 2-3 weeks prior to the procedure being done, as this could affect the outcome of the procedure 2 to 3 days prior to the procedure
- If you wear eye make up, you should stop 2-3 days before the procedure to reduce the risk of infection after your procedure.
- Arrange for someone to drive you home after the procedure and to bring you back the next day for a follow up consultation
- Begin using the antibiotics and other drops as prescribed by the doctor The day of the procedure
- Have a light breakfast in the morning
- Continue previous medications as per normal prescription
- Bring dark sunglasses with you
- Arrive 15 minutes before the procedure is due to take place, so all the paperwork and payment can be taken care of, so you are free to leave the clinic after the procedure is done.
Intacs Post operative instructions
PLEASE AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES AFTER THE PROCEDURE
After the procedure has taken place, go home and rest or sleep on your back to avoid pressure on your eyes. Try to avoid sleeping on your side.